This course aims to give students an understanding of the foundations of COPD care. The course provides an overview of the disease and its impact. Students will gain an understanding of how history taking and important diagnostic tests such as spirometry are used to ensure safe and accurate diagnosis. They will appreciate and apply the principles of COPD management, using lifestyle change and appropriate drug therapy to reduce the burden and risks associated with COPD, learning how to effectively review and care for patients at all stages of disease, including acute exacerbation management. The course has been designed by experienced practising clinicians who share a passion for improving the lives of those with COPD. Learning materials are varied and include guided activities with ongoing assessment and feedback throughout the module. The course content is mapped to nationally recognised standards and professional codes, and successful completion will equip students with the knowledge and skills to deliver guideline-based care and further develop their professional practice. This course is therefore ideally suited for both CPD and workforce development purposes.
• Recognise the burden of COPD on patients, society and the NHS and the physiological changes involved
• Explain the contribution of structured history taking and appropriate diagnostic tests to a safe diagnosis of COPD
• Outline the aims and principles of COPD management and the important elements of a patient focused COPD review
• Identify appropriate pharmacological and non-pharmacological interventions based on current guidelines, relating where relevant to suitable device selection and correct inhaler technique
• Explain the assessment and management of acute exacerbation of COPD (AECOPD) in both community and hospital settings, including the use of rescue packs and COPD care bundles
• Discuss Features of advanced disease and relate these to strategies for palliative and end of life care
• Introduction to learning elements
• Overview of COPD
• History taking
• Diagnostic tests
• Principles of COPD care
• Pharmacological management
• Fundamentals of inhaler technique
• Organisation of care and education
• Acute exacerbations of COPD
• Hospital care
• Advanced disease
Online course details
Please note: once you have completed the registration form, your details will be passed to the training provider who will contact you in due course with details on how to access the online learning.
Course length = 15 hours
Access = 2 months to complete
Blended learning sections include video presentations, guided learning activities, regular formative knowledge checks and a final summative assessment.
This CPD course is for Practice Nurses and Allied Health Care Professionals. Please check here if you are eligible for these funded courses.
Please note: By applying for any of these training courses, you/your practice will not be able to also claim your £333 allocated CPD funding.