This professional education module aims to give students an in-depth understanding of the breadth of COPD. Students will gain an understanding of how history taking and important diagnostic tests such as spirometry are used to ensure safe and accurate diagnosis. To appreciate and apply the principles of COPD management, integrating behaviour change theory, lifestyle adaptations and appropriate drug therapy to reduce the burden and risks associated with COPD and learning how to effectively review and care for patients at all stages of disease, including acute exacerbation management and palliative care. Important interventions in COPD such as pulmonary rehabilitation, and the management of respiratory failure are addressed with reference to current evidence and guidance. The impact of COVID-19 on COPD care is also covered in this module.
• Discuss the physiological changes of COPD and the impact of the condition on patients, society and the NHS
• Explain the contribution of structured history taking and appropriate diagnostic tests, including spirometry, to a safe diagnosis of COPD
• Outline the aims and principles of COPD management, with a particular focus on the importance of non-pharmacological interventions such as pulmonary rehabilitation
• Demonstrate understanding of current guidelines on medication use – including inhaler technique – and how these address symptoms and risk
• Explain the causes, assessment and management of acute exacerbations of COPD (AECOPD) in all settings, with understanding of advanced disease and palliative care strategies
• Apply knowledge and skills gained to a patient-focused COPD review in any setting, recognising appropriate actions to take and the importance of patient education to support effective self-management
• Introduction & COPD pathophysiology
• Suspecting COPD & Confirming the diagnosis
• Pharmacological & Non-pharmacological approaches
• Inhaler technique • Acute exacerbations of COPD
• Hospital care • COPD and multimorbidity
• Advanced disease and palliative care • Patient-focused COPD review
Online course details
Please note: once you have completed the registration form, your details will be passed to the training provider who will contact you in due course with details on how to access the online learning.
Course length = 45 hours
Access = 4 months to complete
This CPD course is for Practice Nurses and Allied Health Care Professionals. Please check here if you are eligible for these funded courses.
Please note: By applying for any of these training courses, you/your practice will not be able to also claim your £333 allocated CPD funding.