This professional education module aims to give students an update on current developments and guidelines in COPD care. The course provides an overview of current developments in COPD care. Students will revisit the importance of history taking, and the use of quality assured spirometry and other tests that promote safe and accurate diagnosis. They will learn about updated COPD management guidelines, exploring the evidence base for lifestyle interventions and appropriate drug therapy to reduce the burden and risks associated with COPD. Course materials will promote the use of a structured COPD review to provide effective care for patients at all stages of disease, including acute exacerbation management. The course has been designed by experienced practising clinicians who share a passion for improving the lives of those with COPD. Learning materials are varied and include guided activities with ongoing assessment and feedback throughout the module. The course content is mapped to nationally recognised standards and professional codes, and successful completion will equip students with the knowledge and skills to improve guideline-based care and further develop their professional practice. This course is therefore ideally suited for both CPD and workforce development purposes.
• Employ structured history taking and appropriate diagnostic tests to recognise a safe diagnosis of COPD
• Apply the important elements of a patient focused COPD review to identify appropriate actions to take and promote self-management skills
• Choose appropriate guideline-based pharmacological and non-pharmacological interventions to reduce the burden of COPD, relating these where relevant to suitable device selection and correct inhaler technique
• Explain the assessment and management of acute exacerbations of COPD (AECOPD) in both community and hospital settings, demonstrating effective organisation of care during acute episodes, for example the use of COPD care bundles and community COPD teams
• Discuss features of advanced disease, the significance of respiratory failure and NIV, and relate these to multidisciplinary strategies for palliative and end of life care support
• Accurate diagnosis of COPD
• Integrated symptom management
• COPD therapeutics
• Acute exacerbation prevention and management
• Strategies for advanced disease
Online course details
Please note: once you have completed the registration form, your details will be passed to the training provider who will contact you in due course with details on how to access the online learning.
Course length = 7.5 hours
Access = 1 month to complete
Blended learning sections include video presentations, guided learning activities, regular formative knowledge checks and a final summative assessment.
This CPD course is for Practice Nurses and Allied Health Care Professionals. Please check here if you are eligible for these funded courses.
Please note: By applying for any of these training courses, you/your practice will not be able to also claim your £333 allocated CPD funding.