Offers support and guidance for practices to access the Trainee Nursing Associate apprenticeship course, develop a Nursing Associate and access funding.
When is it available?
Applications are ongoing subject to university course availability, please ask for the latest details
Upcoming University cohort dates:
- University of Hull – September 2023 (now fully subscribed)
- University of York – September 2023 (now fully subscribed)
- Coventry University Scarborough – January 2024
- Open University (distance) – October 2023
- BPP University (distance) – October, February, March, May, August
How do we apply?
- University of Hull and University of York are open for applications for the Trainee Nursing Associate apprenticeship to start in September 2023. Applications should made by May and the interviews are June.
- Coventry University Scarborough’s next cohort will be January 2024, applications can be made any time.
- Please email email@example.com if you would like any application forms this will enable the training hub to support you and your candidate.
All applicants need to have evidence of their Maths and English grades at 4/C or above, or an equivalent qualification such as Functional Skills Level 2. It is suggested they should be a HCA with at least 6 months experience.
Alternative provision could be Open University and BPP University who are distance learning – there is a different process via NHSE for applications.
- Open University have a video (link below) which explains their process, course requirements and applications for October 2023 cohort: https://youtu.be/WYXYqwTC47o
- BPP University have useful information in the link below and have various cohorts available. BPP are a university just like the open university with the exception that they have satellite offices throughout England. The course with BPP can be found here
- Expressions of interest for BPP University should go to the Health Education England National Nursing and Midwifery Team by return at firstname.lastname@example.org
Where can we access more information?
Join HEE for a discussion about the Trainee Nursing Associate role, including what the role is and training requirements. If you are a college student, a graduate, someone working in health and social care, someone looking for a career change or an employer looking to support a colleague in the North-east and Yorkshire come along. All welcome!
All webinars will take place from 1.30-2.30:
- 18th October 2023
- 15th November 2023
- 6th December 2023
For further information or to register your interest for a webinar please email Nursing.North@hee.nhs.uk
For support with applications please contact us at the training hub on email@example.com
How long is it?
2 year apprenticeship
The Nursing Associate is a relatively new nursing role developed to support the Registered Nurse. The role was developed because a gap was identified in the Shape of Caring Review (HEE, 2015) in care delivery between the Graduate Registered Nurse and the Health Care Support Worker/ Health Care Assistant (HCSW/HCA). Further information can be found here:
- Nursing associates | Health Education England
- Shape of caring review | Health Education England
- Nursing associate | Health Careers
- Resources | NHS Employers
- Nursing Associates | The Nursing and Midwifery Council
- Becoming a nursing associate | The Nursing and Midwifery Council
All programmes must now be NMC approved and meet the NMC standards:
For full information, please download our Info Pack below.
What funding is available?
There is currently a bursary available for practices supporting a TNA.
The course is an apprenticeship and there are 3 ways this may be funded – please see the HCV Apprenticeship Toolkit below.
How can I find out more or express interest?
Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone – 01482 303986
Or click on the button below